Sunday, March 10, 2013

Expectancy Violations Theory

Expectancy Violations Theory

Example: 4 Zones of Space

I'm Not Touching You....
The example of the four zones of space, thought up by Edward Hall, supports the Expectancy Violations Theory.  This is because the four zones each represent a distance of how comfortable people are within that space.  Depending how comfortable a person is within that space will result in an outcome that is expected or not expected.  Hall believed that an effective communicator will adjust their nonverbal behavior to fit the rules their partner has created in their zone.  Judee Burgoon thought that sometimes violating these zone rules (people's expectations) would be a good strategy to conformity because it would catch someone off guard.  The first zone is known as "Intimate Distance."  The distance is between 0-18 inches.  The second zone is known as "Personal Distance."  The distance is between 18 inches - 4 feet.  The third zone is known as "Social Distance."  The distance is between 4-10 feet.  The fourth zone is known as "Public Distance."  The distance is 10 feet and beyond.

I see these zones of space playing a key role in improving my communication.  I never realized that there was a theory out there that related to my "personal bubble."  Nobody likes their personal bubble to popped, but sometimes the unexpected behavior of someone can cause you to act in a way in which you never thought possible.  Knowing that people's bubbles are split into four spaces based off of certain distances is very helpful.  Having this knowledge will allow me to act in a way that respects people's bubbles.  By respecting the bubbles of others, I expect a positive outcome in my conversation with them.  There might be a situation where I have to go against the norm and violate a person's bubble in order to keep them on their toes and give them something unexpected in order to get a the result or reaction I am seeking.  Overall, this is a neat theory and am looking forward to see if people unexpectedly pop my bubble or keep their distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment