Sunday, March 10, 2013

Symbolic Convergence Theory

Symbolic Convergence Theory

Example: Groups You are In


Official Student Section of ACU: THE FIRE SQUAD
The example of the groups you are in supports the Symbolic Convergence Theory. When people form groups and get comfortable with one another they begin to dramatize and form close bonds.  Symbolic convergence is essentially group consciousness or group cohesiveness.  That said, forming a group and growing closer together through acts like dramatization and fantasy lead to that group cohesiveness or symbolic convergence.

I see and have seen the Symbolic Convergence Theory play out numerous times in my life.  Every sports team I've played has had that group cohesiveness.  Every student section I have been a part of has had that group cohesiveness.  Being able to bond as a group and feed off one another is what makes groups grow closer and tighter together.  That is why the teams I have played on over the years regarding sports have been so good and close.  We all formed bonds that will last a lifetime (especially my high school baseball team) and will have each other's back no matter what.  This theory will be very helpful to me in regards to my communication skills.  Knowing how groups bond together is essential for good communication.  This theory shows that once a group is formed members bond together through things like dramatization, fantasy, rhetoric vision, etc...  Being a part of groups like this has allowed me to see that symbolic convergence aids communicating with others.  If you have that group cohesiveness, communicating with others is much easier.  You don't have to be shy about sharing something or be self-consciousness about anything.  The group will love you for who you are and won't make fun of you.  You can be yourself and just relax.  That is something that I have learned from personal experience regarding symbolic convergence and the amazing groups I have joined.

No comments:

Post a Comment